If you've made it this far by now, you will - hopefully - have noticed that the Transport KTN looks different this week to last week.
The Technology Strategy Board has upgraded our networking website (and if you tried to access the website this time last week, you may have noticed a holding page while the Technology Strategy Board completed this upgrade) to a new version of the supporting software, so we've taken this opportunity to redesign our site a bit.
We hope it will be easier for you to find items of interest and to contribute and make comments and use the site to help you connect and grow your business.
The picture below illustrates some of the key differences that you'll see on arrival at www.transportktn.org (our site address hasn't changed!):
1. Sign in at the top. This is also where, once you are logged in, you can access all your personal information, including your interests, blog, _connections, microblog (like a twitter stream), personal document library, etc.
2. You can search for other people on _connect; when you click on their name, you will see their personal pages. If other people search for you, it's important that you have your personal pages up to date so that they can contact you.
3. Most navigation around each group on the Transport KTN is done via the navigation bar:
Overview: a summary of the group and activities within it including new or recently edited documents, events, news articles, discussions; you can click through the items we are highlighting in the rotating carousel in the main top panel
About Us: as it says on the tin, but if you hover over it, you may see further menu options (on the Transport KTN, you can find out about the Transport KTN team, and get a link to our previous newsletters too)
News Articles: we add selected items of industry news that we think you'll find interesting or that you've told us about or tweeted to us about. In some of our member interest groups (e.g. Accelerating innovation in Rail, and Vessel Efficiency) you, as a logged-in member, can add news articles as well. You'll also see a selection of popular articles from the last few years on the right hand side of the page.
Events: lists upcoming (and past) events featured on the Transport KTN (or in the groups). Events list on the main Transport KTN events page also presents upcoming events from other, related _connect groups (e.g. Aerospace, Electronics Sensors Photonics, ICT, Internet of Things, competitions networks, etc) that might be of interest to you
Groups: where any network or group has sub-groups, these will show under a group tab
Funding: competitions and funding opportunities. The main page is the same regardless of which group you are in and shows all funding opportunities that we are highlighting, but the right hand side on any groups' funding page features opportunities specific to that interest group.
Members: invite your colleagues to join the group, and see who is already a member of the group; click through to see their profile pages, who else they've connected with, what other groups they're members of, what theire interests and skills are, and request to connect with them, etc (a bit like Linked In)
Resource library: documents and other resources
Contact us: get in touch, see our Twitter stream and join the conversation
4. Quick Links. A key difference between our last site and this one is that it's now easy for you to go straight to the key interest groups on the Transport KTN - Intelligent Mobility, Energy Efficiency, Accelerating Innovation in Rail, Vessel Efficiency, back to the Transport KTN, or check out the funding pages. You can also join the KTN, view our Twitter feed, and look at our newsletter archive to catch up on what we've been featuring through the years. If you join the Transport KTN, you'll get the monthly newsletter delivered directly to your in-box. How have you managed without it all this time? Join us now and get your own!
5. What's new across the Transport KTN gives quick overview of all the new content across all of the Transport KTN and its key groups - documents, news articles, and events. In the KTN's groups, this shows the new items in those groups, so if you've a specific interest in, for example, Intelligent Mobility, this will show IM new content.
The carousel on the main pages will be used to highlight key items as they become topical. If you'd like to recommend something, please get in touch.
RSS feeds - you can sign up to RSS feeds for relevant info wherever you see the sign.
Twitter - we still tweet everything, so make sure you join us on @transportktn on Twitter!
There is a lot more functionality and we hope that it will be easier for you to use as well as more pleasing on the eye.
More info on what this new _connect means for you - our website members - will be made available soon.