KTN's online platform helps you to make the connections you need


The Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) has refreshed its online platform to intelligently connect you to relevant events, funding, thought pieces and specialist staff to help your business innovate and grow.

You can discover content using your area of interest, from sustainability to transport; from space to health – all major UK economic sectors are covered. Once you have selected your interests, using our intelligent tagging system, we will then display rich and relevant content related to your area, often from surprising sources.

An example might be new satellite technology from the space sector that is applicable in the agri-food sector. KTN-UK.co.uk will help you form these unusual and valuable connections.

All content on the platform has been carefully curated by our team of innovation specialists – not by an automated algorithm – so you can be confident that KTN is connecting you to the most relevant cutting-edge information.


The move also marks a closer alignment with our main funder, Innovate UK , with the website branding making a clear visual link. Knowledge Transfer Network is Innovate UK's innovation network partner, and also works with other funders to provide innovation networking services and fulfil our mission to drive UK growth.

We link new ideas and opportunities with expertise, markets and finance through our network of businesses, universities, funders and investors. From agri-food to autonomous systems and from energy to design, KTN combines expertise in all sectors with the ability to cross boundaries. Connecting with KTN can lead to potential partners, horizon-expanding events and innovation insights relevant to your needs.

Visit our people pages to connect directly with expertise in your sector.

Visit the KTN refreshed online platfom here


« go back

SBRI - Create Value from Waste Mattress Textiles

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council has made significant progress in the area of recycling waste mattresses, using an innovative semi-automated process for deconstruction of the materials into their various fractions.
The separated steel has sustainable markets, but despite ongoing efforts to secure positive value for the separated textile materials, potential textile recycling companies are put off by the levels of contamination that result during use. The council has no option but to send the separated textile for energy recovery (i.e. Incineration or Energy from Waste), a less desirable form of waste management when considering the Waste Hierarchy.
This competition is jointly funded by RCT Council, Welsh Government and Innovate UK. The aim is to develop economically and environmentally sustainable solutions for the treatment and preparation for recycling of textiles and foam materials resulting from the deconstruction of waste mattresses.
The contest is seeking to develop innovative solutions with the potential to be replicated at regional facilities throughout Wales and the UK.
Organisations are invited to compete for a share of a total £350,000 fund for the further development and commercialisation of innovative technologies, processes and business models.
Competition Scope
The overall purpose of this competition is to demonstrate the technical, commercial and environmental viability of creating value from low grade textiles, wadding and foams resulting from the deconstruction of waste mattresses. Successful applicants will provide innovative solutions demonstrating that these materials can be treated (either individually or in combinations) to form a feedstock, safe for use in closed loop recycling applications.
A wide range of technical solutions shall be considered, however project proposals able to demonstrate strong alignment with the following principals will be prioritised by the Project Board:
• shall be capable of recycling at least 75% of the material stream and would not result in landfilling any of the remaining 25%.
• Will make a positive financial contribution to the mattress deconstruction process (i.e. provide a material rebate) of the order of £10 per Tonne.
• will not produce any waste classified as Hazardous under EU/UK Waste Management Regulations.
• shall be able to demonstrate a lower Carbon Footprint than that which could be reasonably estimated for either landfill disposal or EfW recovery.
• can be demonstrated at RCT Council’s Bryn Pica Waste Management Facility.
• has the potential to utilise waste heat in the range 70 – 90 degrees Celsius.
Applicants may wish to refer to BS 1425-1:1991 (Cleanliness of fillings and stuffings for bedding, upholstery and other domestic articles.) as an example of a standard of cleanliness, or may wish to develop and justify their own end use specification.

For more information click here

No comments yet. Be the first.

Featured Events

There are no results.