Scoping Workshop 3 - 16th February 2012
In partnership with the ESP and MBE Communities, the EG&S Community ran a workshop to bring together relevant electricity generation companies, technology suppliers, grid operators and R&D organisations with the following objectives of:
- Seeding the smart DC microgrid concept and its potential opportunities for R&D and commercial organisations
- Presenting and sharing thoughts from key industry players
- Providing a platform to gain the thoughts and ideas from the energy supply sector to help shape the upcoming funding competition
- Providing an early networking opportunity for organisations with an interest in this area to develop partnership links.
See below the agenda of the day including links to the presentations.
This workshop was part of a series of workshops run as part of the Smart DC Special Interest Group. The collated feedback will be used to help shaping a joined Technology Strategy Board / Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) funding competition which will be announced later in 2012. The outcomes of the brainstorm from this workshop can be downloaded here.
9:30am Coffee & Networking
10:15am Welcome & Introduction - Andrew Melchior, Technology Strategy Board
10:30am Keynote Presentations
1. Welcome & Introduction SMART DC SIG - Nee Joo Teh, Energy Generation & Supply KTN
2. Delivering DC Networks in BRISTOL - Vincent Thornley, Siemens Transmission & Distribution
3. The Future Medium Voltage Grid? - Dr Gopal Mondal, Alstom Grid
4. Building Integrated Smart Grids - James Johnston, Arup / University of Strathclyde
5. Switching from AC to DC and the role of Energy storage in Smart DC systems - Anthony Price, Electricity Storage Network
12:30pm Lunch & Networking
13:30pm Facilitated Workshop
15:00pm Closing session
15:15 – 16.30pm COFFEE / NETWORKING TIME