Discussions

Got something to say? Want to ask us any questions?

Take part in our discussions forum to interact with other members,
join in with current discussions or start your own new thread. 

« Back to Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)

UAS Conference 2013 - Feedback

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
UAS Conference 2013 - Feedback
Answer
01/11/13 13:53
Thanks to all that attended the inaugural UAS Conference. We would love for you to leave any feedback here and carry on the discussions from the day!

RE: UAS Conference 2013 - Feedback
Answer
01/11/13 14:07 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Had a brilliant day. Day off today so will try to feedback properly on Monday!

Answer
01/11/13 14:13 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Thanks Elliott, much appreciated! Enjoy your long weekend!

Answer
01/11/13 14:26 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
I also had a brilliant day! The single most informative conference about our industry I've been too! Please make this an annual event.

Benjamin.

Answer
01/11/13 14:57 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
What an excellent and informative day!

The location was obviously ideal - being both within easy access of London and having suitable facilities.

I thought that the programme was very well produced and allowed for plenty of networking, discussion and interesting presentations. 

We are all indebted to both SIG RAS & BBC R&D for all of their hard work and support. An especially big thanks to Ant Miller for organising this event - his impact on our little community has been incredibly positive and it is unfortunate that he is now moving on - however I wish him all the best in his new endeavours and hope to work with him again at some point in the future!

I'm keen to see this event become established as an annual occurance - hopefully with our industry coming together to support, organise and fund it.  

The key aims were:

1-      To improve the uptake of UAS as a production tool for broadcast use in the UK.
2-      To explore opportunities for R&D investment in technologies pertinent to small civil UAS usage.
3-      To foster the creation of a professional community of civil UAS operators able to contribute to the regulatory development process.

Do people think these objectives were obtained - and what can we do (as a community) to ensure that they are further progressed?

All in all - an excellent conference that leaves me full of excitment for the future of this new industry.

Answer
01/11/13 15:19 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
A very well structured and highly informative event!

Well done to the organisers for getting so many of us in the same room; awesome room by the way!

It was great to finally put faces to names, and talk with other members of this small but growing community about our individual experiences. This more than anything else at this stage of market growth is of huge importance to me and Cloud 12, as it paves the way for us all to develop an industry which we can mould; this is the best time to be involved in this sector.

Involvement from the CAA gave me a sense of validity as an operator but to the industry - as fledgling as it is.  I would very much welcome involvement from any regulatory bodies in the future at such events whose remit covers the operation of UAS in some way.

I very much hope that this can be an anual event; considering the increase in BNUC-S pilots just over the past year - we may need Wembley Arena next year!

Exciting times ahead!

Answer
01/11/13 16:16 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
First event of this type I've been to, I found it really helpful!  Great insight into where the industry is, where it's moving, and an invaluable opportunity to network with some of the key players of present and future,
Would definitely attend next year,
Kris Bird

Answer
01/11/13 16:31 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Wow, where do I start!?
It was a fantastic event and an ideal location. Thanks to all who were involved with the organisation of it, especially Ant Miller! What a legend!
As nomincal chairman of the Sub 20 Organisation I managed to achieve my goal to promote the group as best I could, since so many key people and companies in the industry were present. It was a shame I didn´t have the time to prepare a proper presentation for the entire audience which would have been the best way to get the word out. An industry group to represent all of the operators was mentioned by Ant Miller, so it was a shame I couldn´t stand in and say a few words. 
In my mind Paddy, objective one is hard to comment on from my perspective... did any operators (especially the ones exhibiting) meet any production companies looking to employ their services?? and did they manage to get any work from the event? and how did the conference benefit them the most?
Point two is also difficult to comment on as I was busy talking Sub20 and missed some of the presentations.
Point three is the most relavent to me and I would only add to my previous comments by saying that every person I met and spoke with recognised the need for an industry group and were very happy to hear I am progressing with the Sub20 Organisation. For me, what is now needed is the opportunity to bring as many operators and people involved in the industry together, to continue the discussion we were having in hanger two "Evolution of Regulation" as there simply was not enough time to draw any decent conclusions.... what I am keen on organising is a Indsutry workshop sometime in the spring of 2014 to really discuss industry concerns in detail! 
How do people feel about that???

Answer
01/11/13 17:31 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
All in all, a very well organised and structured event which could easily have run on into two days!

Well done SIG RAS and BBC R&D for such a spectacular achievement for our industry. It was fantastic to have such a medium to meet people, both old and new friends.

A very informative day for all aspects of the industry, personally as a flight school and instructor it came as a great sense of satisfaction seeing many people whom I had previously trained enjoying the sucesses of their initial hard work. As Ben Keene suggested, as a part of the regulatory framework of this industry, I was more than happy to do my part in order to promote safe and sensible UAS operations. I have already said in private emails today, I would be more than happy to present and talk on a panel at future events.

It was also very useful being broadcaster co-led, as in the end we all want to achive great things with our aircraft. For many operators with stands, it was great to see their marketing objectives met in such a way as they could learn something new about the industry and also gain new contacts and potentially contracts. I think this achieved Paddy's point 1 with flair.

To answer Philip's comment about potentially organising an event in spring 2014 to continue our discussions on evolution of regulation. I am more than happy to attend any such event and talk on the subject of regulation and one good point that did come out of our session, sustainability, management and policing of existing regulation.

Overall we all want to foster our still very young industry so it was something special to have the opportunity to do that in this way. Here's to next year !

Answer
01/11/13 18:19 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Thanks go to BBC R&D and RAS for organising a great day. From the perspective of someone who is just getting aqainted with UAS this was a very informative event. Thanks also go to those folks who had stands as they offered a great deal of insight and experience into the discussion mix around the room. As the community develops, regulatory clarity is defined and the word spreads I'm confident 2014 will be an exiting time for this industry and I look forward to seeing you there.

Answer
02/11/13 09:15 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
10/10 for the event. It gave us the opertunity to show our craft and our abilities by bening permitted to fly a short demo flight in front of so many people only there to see UAS systems. Brilliant.

I just wish I could have been on the panel to put our presentation over showing how the use of smaller craft are a very useful tool and its not just the 'BIG' Epic carrying machines that can get the shots.

May be next year.

Again thanks for the invite we would be more than interested in any other networking meetings etc that come of this.

Dave Halton
AerialVue

Answer
02/11/13 11:34 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
I agree with all the comments posted. It was an excellent event and I certainly learned a lot. Our particular interest is on the aircraft performance and control side, so it would be good for us if the end user community could put out some design challenges and requirements for the next generation of UAS.
Are there any particular issues with today's vehicles? What would you like to see in the future?

Simon

Stirling Dynamics

Answer
02/11/13 11:56 as a reply to Simon Hancock.
I am sure the guy from Helliguy has the secret of performnce as his announcment that they will have a multirotor caperble of 1 hours flight time carrying a Red next week was a jaw dropper.

But on a serious note the big question is flight times. I ask the question WHY is so much importance levelled at flight times?

If the shot is planned correctley there is no reason why you can not get the shot in 6 to 8 mins max... IF you are flying legally.

I think this debate should possibly be started on another thread though. I am all ears and will contribute as much as my megre three years experience can offer.

Dave Halton
AerialVue

Answer
02/11/13 12:10 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Hi Dave,
In terms of flight times, it's probably the case that uses such as surveillance, rather than filming for broadcast, would be the main driver. However, as with most technologies, as soon as someone offers you an increased capability, I'm sure you'd find some new opportunity to exploit it!
There are other performance aspects such as stability, accuracy of path following and station holding that I think could be pushed further.

Simon

Answer
02/11/13 12:11 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
This was an absolutely terrific event.  Many thanks to BBC R&D and RAS SIG for creating such a valuable and innovative event for the UAS sector.  I am just getting acquainted with the UAS industry and this event provided me with a terrific insight to this sector.  With a wide-range of information being presented throughout the entire day, I learned so much and made a host of valuable contacts (the depth and breadth of experience in the room was incredible).  The line-up of speakers was excellent – with everyone clearly being experienced and authoritative in their respective areas.  On a practical note, the choice of venue was inspired (so different to the often bland conference venues) and the organisation beforehand and on the day was impeccable.  The whole day was very well – and entertainingly – chaired by Ant – you did a great job, Ant!  It was a first-class event all round.  Looking forward to the next one in 2014.

Russ Inman
Praxsys

Answer
02/11/13 12:27 as a reply to Simon Hancock.
Aye Up Simon. I am working with people whos target is longer flight times but for humanitarian needs not film. The film industry aint going to fund R&D in this area in the first instance it will be individauls on a mission and when the mission is showinfg signs of success in will step the big boys.

Flight dynamics and stability is always going to be bettered with every firmware releace but right now I have no issue with what we fly, I would say though that some manufactures are trying to include to many bells and whistles rather than consentrating on performance in the key aeras you talk about. 
Again not sure this discussion is appropriate for this thread

Dave

Answer
02/11/13 13:10 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Congratulations on a fantastic conference. I thought the day was really worthwhile and I learned a lot about the UAS/broadcast relationship and methods of working. I also thought it was great to hear directly from the CAA. I understand the BBC was heavily involved in this conference and made it ihappen, but the UAS industry is so much bigger than broadcasting. Perhaps in future it could involve all aspects of commercial UAS operation. I would also think a very useful addition would be the manufacturers such as DJI.

Answer
02/11/13 17:09 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Hello everyone, thanks so much for the really positive feedback. It was a pretty bug team behind the scenes pulling this gig together, so I can't take all the credit. Phil and Francesca and Louisa at the RAS SIG were instrumental in finding and arranging the venue and catering, and my colleagues Nick, Alia, Tony, Nick, Kevin, and Duncan all took on work above and beyond the day job to make it work.

Sywell aerodrome was a great venue in terms of location, reasonable accommodation, and flexible space. I'm sorry we hadn't identified the acoustic issue with the space before the show, but I think with slightly different layout and structure you could perhaps go twice as large again in terms of event size. If you wanted more focussed workshops you could hold them in some of the onsite meeting rooms on the preceding or subsequent day.

In terms of future events I'm sure the BBC will want to remain engaged, especially in any meeting that has broadcast usage as a part of the domains covered. I completely appreciate that UAS is bigger than broadcast, but we needed a broadcast event for our own selfish ends, and just thought it was well worth making it open and inviting as many people as possible. There is real value in focussing at the sub20kg area, civil use I believe- this is a coherent set of regulatory and technical and operational challenges. Civil security and 'first responder' emergency services, as well as technical survey work seem sufficiently close that in an event a little larger all could be accommodated.

Regarding longer endurance- there is a genuine broadcast interest- the current flight times of 10 minutes are too tight to be able to go live with a broadcast, and live is a key capability for a lot of the high value use cases for these tools. If you can have 30 minutes or even an hour, that gives you the flexibility to be ready to provide a live feed when the director feels it's right. That capability is sufficiently valuable that other compromises would be acceptable I think- even to the point where the complexities of a fixed wing platform's take off and landing arrangements are worth considering.

Thanks again for all your feedback, and very best of luck for the next event. I'll give Phil what support I can, and I am certain that with the enthusiastic support and expertise of the great industry we saw come together on Thursday, he'll make a grand job of it.

Ant

Answer
05/11/13 14:44 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Thank you to everyone that's taken the time to post here, your feedback is incredibly valuable to us and it's certainly given us lots to think about for next year!

Emma

Answer
06/11/13 11:55 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
I would like to add my thanks to BBC R&D, RAS SIG and in particular to Ant for conceiving, organising and hosting this really excellent and incredibly useful event.

I thought that the day's agenda was very well balanced. Having the CAA involved was a very positive thing. The suppliers presentation were generally interesting and informative. I particularly enjoyed the panel presentation and Theo's session was great. The venue and organisation could not have been better.

I would have liked to have heard about some real life examples of aerial filming working with a BBC production team. What worked well and maybe not so well? What problems were encountered? etc. etc. real life stories are always good. 

I hope that we see some sort of UAS operators association in the future. In a fledgeling industry it is very difficult to know whether what you are doing makes sense in the broader industry context. I believe that it would be healthy for there to be a UAS Operators Code of Practice and also a bit of consensus/consistency on charging rates, terms of business etc. I also believe that, at least at this stage, it makes lots of sense for operators to cooperate by sharing resources and opportunities.  

I very much hope that this conference becomes a regular event. I would certainly want to exhibit next time around. 

Andrew

Answer
06/11/13 12:03 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Hi Andrew, 
I am in the process to starting such an association... http://www.sub20.org/
I was on the panel for discussion in hanger two "Evolution of Regulation". Please get in touch with me directly at philip.g.tarry@sub20.org and let me know what you would like to see such an organisation do for you!
regards
Philip

Answer
17/12/13 14:26 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Hi all,

We're pleased to say that we've had a film produced from the UAS conference. We've added it to YouTube, you can find it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YovFqJhgb8&feature=youtu.be

Many thanks
Emma

Answer
30/05/14 08:54 as a reply to Emma Bortnik.
Hi everyone

If you're not yet aware, an event on the 17th July in London is taking place 'The future for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) - Strategic Insights'. Click here to view more details about the event.

Many thanks
Emma