Funding Call - Synthetic biology for new diagnostics, sensors and lightweight materials
Researchers are invited to apply for funding from a new Joint Synthetic Biology Initiative<http://bbsrc.ac.uk/
The aim of the initiative is to fund a cohort of preliminary, short, innovative, proof-of-concept speculative scientific investigations that seek to explore the potential applicability of synthetic biology to the UK's current and future national security and defence needs. The research will be conducted in line with relevant international conventions.
Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Research that can underpin novel sensors, detectors and diagnostic approaches, including in-field devices.
- Development of new materials and methods for decontamination
- Development of new materials and methods for trauma care, including wound management and healing
- Smart materials and coatings, especially those that can reduce the weight of equipment
- Improvements to bioprocesses or metabolic engineering to support technology development, such as the above, with the production of biologics or small molecules
The call is led by BBSRC and is expected to fund approximately 20 high quality projects,which will typically cost up to £120k with duration between 6 and 24 months.
The closing date for proposals is on Tuesday 22 November 2011, 4pm (BST).
Details on eligibility and instructions for application are available here: http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk/