The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), in collaboration with the Knowledge Transfer Network, will be hosting a series of events throughout 2014 to investigate solutions to the top challenges facing the oil and gas sector in the UK. The ultimate aim of this series of four workshops is to scope NERC’s planned investment in a 5 year, £5m Oil and Gas Innovation Programme. The first event, ‘Unconventional Hydrocarbons, will take place on the 24th September in Manchester.
As the UK pursues a long-term strategy to decarbonise our society, there will be a continuing need for hydrocarbon exploration to bridge the gap to low emission power generation in future. Britain’s energy security and long-term economic performance will benefit hugely from maintaining the health of this key industrial sector. With this in mind the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is keen to establish where past and future research activities might support the sector.
Delegates will learn about the skills and capabilities of NERC’s research centres and associated universities relating to these topics and will have an opportunity to share details of the challenges being faced by the oil and gas industry.
Who should attend?
This free event will benefit businesses, academics, researchers and local authorities with interests in the oil and gas sector.
This event will cover topics including;
- Basin Scale Geology (geology, sedimentology, structure, geophysics)
- Sub-surface understandings (fracture imaging, petrophysics and fluid characteristics and fluid/rock interactions)
- Geomechanics of mudstones and shale reservoirs
- Evaluation and design of appropriate monitoring strategies for shale gas/oil extraction
Date and time
- Start Date :
- End Date:
- Duration :
- 09:00 16:30
- Type :
- Organiser :
- Venue :
- Details of the venue will be sent to registered delegates