The Robotics and Autonomous Systems Special Interest Group (RAS SIG) was established on 1 January 2013 in a partnership between the Technology Strategy Board and Knowledge Transfer Networks, including the Industrial Mathematics KTN. Drawing on a core group of experts, leading industrialists and academics, the SIG's aim is to stimulate collaboration and innovation in RAS capabilities, which are required to underpin multiple industrial sectors, leading to increased productivity and growth. The SIG will:
- stimulate greater knowledge transfer and collaboration between the fragmented elements of a RAS industry;
- develop and promote a vision for RAS in the UK for the next 5, 10, 15 and 20 years and the roadmaps to identify key expected developments, innovation challenges, and barriers to adoption;
- build awareness of the opportunities open to RAS across a range of key challenge areas i.e. from where RAS are being exploited already (e.g. defence, medicine, space) to where they could have significant application (healthcare, transport, energy);
- promote funding and collaboration opportunities;
- showcase success stories of where RAS have been developed and exploited across different domains.
The RAS SIG runs until the end of 2015, when a review of its work will be undertaken to inform future support and intervention.