- If your application is successful, you will have a full-time PhD student working exclusively on your project for three and a half years, as well as the associated benefits from the university’s research expertise.
- The majority of the studentship is funded by the EPSRC, a total amount of almost £70,000 over three and a half years, with the company contributing only about £23,000. This contribution is paid directly to the university and represents a minimum payment – if the student requires specialist materials, for instance, you can choose to contribute more.
- Students will be ‘hands on’ – they are expected to spend at least three months of the three-and-a-half-year award on the premises of the sponsoring company. As there is no maximum limit, the industrial sponsor and the collaborating university should agree on the balance of time spent at the company and at the university.
- The company takes the lead in defining the project. ICASE awards are driven by industry research needs and therefore a close association with the research environment offered by the industry partner is an important consideration. Ideally, the student will work closely with research staff from the company in order to fully understand the context of the research work and to develop an appreciation for industry-based research in general.
- The studentship provides opportunities to explore novel research collaborations and strengthen current partnerships. Joint supervision gives a unique and broadening perspective on the impact of collaborative research.
- Benefits to the university’s research profile: a student registered at your university will be working on a challenging, feasible and realistically achievable PhD project which stimulates excellent hypothesis-driven research.
Students can only register for the studentship once it has been confirmed by EPSRC as a funded project, but are welcome to express an interest to the university partner before this time. ICASE provides access to high-quality training, facilities and expertise not available in an academic setting alone. Students have an opportunity to develop a range of valuable skills and significantly enhance their future employability.
No websites added just yet…
ICASE Awards hasn't added any of their social connections yet.