Building better places
was published on Friday 19 February 2016, and contains a range of recommendations designed to improve the way national policy is developed and implemented in the built environment, including design quality, sustainability, housing and professional skills.
The report has looked at a number ofkey questions including:
- What role should national policymakers play in shaping our built environment?
- What role should the Government play in seeking to address current issues of housing supply?
- How do we develop built environments which are sustainable and resilient?
- Do the professions and agencies involved in this area have the skills to consider the built environment in a holistic manner?
- Are we using the right tools and techniques to promote high quality design and ‘place-making’?
- How could we improve consideration of the built environment impacts upon the health of users and upon behaviours within communities?
- How is the planning system and national planning policy performing on issues like the green belt, land supply, and the delivery of housing?