At the end of 2014, KTN ran a workshop focussed on impact protection – an area of particular interest to the sports and defence industries, but also applicable to the care and health industries.
Delegates were from a variety of sectors and included some younger designers. The day featured a number of group sessions, during which small groups huddled around one of the oddly attired mannequins placed around the room. One mannequin wore a karate gi, one a military helmet, two more wore regular clothes identifying them with a particular age bracket. The persona and impact protection needs of each mannequin were discussed and ways of meeting these needs were brainstormed.
The event also featured a number of talks from members of academia and those associated with industry. These outlined particular industry requirements as well as explaining recent innovations. Speakers included:
• Dr Andrew Alderson, Principal Research Fellow, Sheffield Hallam University
• Professor Jaana Beidler, Professor of Color and Material Design, Aalto University (Finland)
• Dr Xiaogang Chen, Reader, University of Manchester
• Lucy Follett, Performance Ergonomist, English Institute of Sport
• Guy Robinson , Director, Sprout Design
• Chris Sawyer, Lead Technologist, Innovate UK
• Dr Mark Taylor, Research Fellow, University of Leeds
• David Tyler, Reader, Manchester Metropolitan University
A white paper will be produced in 2015 from all the information gathered at this event.