Over the last few years the European Commission have been funding a whole range of projects across Europe on recycling, upcycling, reusing and recovering materials - each of them a building block for a circular economy.
The European Commission is funding circular economy projects under several EU programmes, for example, under Horizon 2020, including the SME Instrument, LIFE and the CIP Eco-Innovation programme (which ended in 2013). Below are some of these projects – from recycling slag in the steelmaking industry through recovering critical raw materials from electronic waste to an online store for trading massive amounts of pre-owned items.
· Dairy industry: Turning waste whey into a protein-rich biomass
· Infrastructure: Noise protection panels made of recycled tyres
· Fisheries: Recycling discarded fishing equipment
· Electronics: Recovering high-tech materials
· Steelmaking: Recycled slag used in road constructions
· Packaging industry: Manufacturing high-quality recycled packaging films
· Consumers: Swap.com online store for pre-owned items
· Composites: Bringing recycled fiber products to market based on composites waste
· Renewable energies: Mushroom and biogas production in a circular economy
· Construction: Recycling and recovering valuable raw materials from demolition waste
Click here to read more about these projects
Or discover more circular economy projects funded through the EU's LIFE programme.