As part of bioProcessUK’s annual activity on sector information, Unicorn Biologics undertook an assessment of the UK biopharmaceutical portfolio on behalf of the KTN. This report is now available here – please note you MUST be a member of this BioProcesing Priority Area of the KTN on _connect and already logged in to access this link (click here for full report).
Some of the key points are summarised below in terms of the UK biopharmaceutical landscape and activity in this sector:
- There are circa 250 companies with research, development or manufacturing assets in the UK comprising
- Biopharmaceutical companies
-Contract Manufacturing Organisations (to Phase II)
-Specialist Suppliers of equipment, consumables or services
- The UK has a strong academic base in life sciences and engineering
In terms of the current biopharmaceuticals pipeline as assessed in the report
- The total number of biopharmaceuticals in development globally is in excess of 2200
- Of these, 200 are owned by UK companies.
- The overall value of biopharmaceuticals in development globally is in excess of £200 billion
- The UK owned portfolio is valued at around £24 billion (KTN Benchmarking Report 2009)
- Significant shift in pharma and biotech business models providing opportunities
- With regard to value ~60% of the estimated value is in UK assets owned by Biotech companies and ~30% owned by Big Pharma companies.
These findings, in the KTN’s view, underscore the strategic importance and potential future value for the UK of the biopharmaceuticals and bioprocessing sector. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.