The propulsion pillar will accelerate the introduction of revolutionary new engine technologies that will: •
- Reduce fuel emissions by 20% over the next 20 years
- Make an aircraft taking off quieter than the traffic around an airport
- Enable future aircraft to carry 20% more passengers for the same amount of fuel as today
Revolutionary engine technologies will require radically different manufacturing technologies that will build on core skills and know-how already being developed in the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre, Advanced Forming Research Centre, National Composites Centre and Manufacturing Technology Centre of the High Value Manufacturing Catapult.
Initial Project Themes:
Next generation engine core demonstrator engine incorporating:
- Product technologies: high efficiency, high temperature compressor and turbine, low emissions combustor, low loss air system, high temperature materials
- High Value Manufacturing: 2nd generation composite fan, additive machining
- Virtual engine simulation on a world-class high-performance computing facility.
Tel: 01234 758587